Friday, February 04, 2005

First holiday abroad

Finally, we will be visiting the mainland Europe. Tan have holidays from 19/02 till 6/03. At first we thought of going skiing as it is the right thing to do during winter in Europe. I wanted to either visit Andorra or Austria for skiing.

But dunno why, we might not go skiing after all, are plans is to visit my friend in Strasbroug, France and from Bristol, easyjet, a discount carrier flies to Geneva. So our plan is to fly to Geneva and then make our way through various cities in Switzerland and then to Strasbroug and finally to Paris.

I never imagined that the first city that I would visit would be Geneva. I have always imagined that i would visit Austria or Italy or France first as Switzerland is one of the most expensive country in Europe if not the whole world.

The lonely planet western europe guide is an invaluble resource. Switzerland is truly an amazing country. The transportation is impressive and most of all the fact that over 70% of its terrain are mountains. I can just imagine it would be something like Queenstown, NZ. And i loved Queenstown.

I am excited.. and just then we booked our flight to geneva, our flight from France to london Heathrow and bus from Heathrow to Bristol. We have also book our first accomadation in Geneva in a youth hostel. We have had good experiences with hostels in NZ and Australia but I am not expecting the same over here. From what i have heard, the hostels in NZ are the best.

The fun part is where to go in 7 days in Switzeland. Even though it is a small country, there are heaps to see and not having been there, it is hard to judge how much time one should devote to a particular city.

There is train ride that we have to do and our journey follows the train journey. The trainline/journey is called the Golden Pass Line and goes from Geneve to Montreux to Interlaken to Luzern.

From Luzern, we will catch a train to Basel and then on to Strasbourg.

That's our plan so far. I am thinking of spending a couple of days each in Luzern and Interlaken. One day in Geneve and maybe one day in Montreux. We will see.

I will also have to get my camera soon.. I still haveent got my camera yet.. hmm

No comments: