Sunday, January 30, 2005

Car Hunting

Hi

I went to the car auction in Bristol last Thursday with a friend. It was an interesting place. Might try out the auctions back in Brisbane for my next car. In England they have this thing called a MOT. Any car over 3 years old will have to have a MOT every year. I guess MOT is equivalent to a safety certificate (road worthy) in Queenland but the different is that you only need a safety certificate in Queenland if you are selling your car but you will need a MOT done on your car every year in the UK. If you car doesn't pass the MOT then you will have to fix the parts which failed. I believe that it is a great system and ensures that the cars on the road are road worthy and also you have a guage of the milage of a particular car as it will be recorded on the MOT every year.

With that in mind, at the auction, we only looked at cars which have MOT certificate and service record. I believe that with those two, you are more likely to not buy a lemon.

The auction was a very intresting place. We were they just for an hour and there were a myrid of cars to bid on all from old to new, dump to perfect condition. A car went for $200 and another could have gone for £15,000. You will find large and small cars.

The auction itself happens so quickly. A few bids and the the next car will be driven in and the process goes on. I could have brought at 1995 VW golf for £800. It was so easy, just raise your hand and the car is yours. I didn't buy it in the end coz i made it a point of not buying anything on my first visit. I think I bid on a Rover 214Si too but it went for £1700, £200 more than what i was prepared to pay.

At the end of that a friend told us that he have a car he wants to sell to us. It is a 1996 Peugeot 306 1.9L Diesel turbo. He is selling it for only $800 which is a bargin. It has about 106,000 miles on the clock. I have taken it for a test drive and hopefully Tan can have a drive later today.

I have always wanted a french car. I also liked the Renault Clio.

I also wanted to drive a diesel and now i will have a chance. The test drive was good. I like the car but will have to get use to the heavy clutch and the heavy accelerator. Also, the diesel engine sounds different to any petrol cars i have driven.

I like the car. it has tape player, sunroof, immobiliser, power windows and is 5 door. If everything goes fine the we will have the car next week.

No comments: